Monday, October 21, 2013

Fashion Prep 101

This morning, due to a dead battery on my lovely iPhone, my alarm didn't go off. I woke up at 7:21, leaving me exactly 39 minutes to be dressed and 10 minutes to prepare a lunch, before I would have to be leaving in order to be at the office by 8:30. Instantly, I began to panic.

Today's lesson, ladies-- 
ALWAYS be prepared for a fashion crisis or an wardrobe malfunction. The days that you wake up five minutes early will always go absolutely perfect, and the days that you wake up 10 minutes before you should be walking out of the door will always go wrong. So, listen up. 


1. "Piece-y Items"

It never fails--you wake up and can almost swear that you threw those slacks in the dryer last night, in preparation for the next morning. Oops, guess what? You didn't. So now, you are stuck with the top half of a suit that absolutely will not match anything else in your closet. Or, you wake up in a rush and the outfit that you thought you were going to wear is wrinkled from top to bottom. The more "piece-y" items that you have to work with, the more items you have to substitute for any "mishaps." This shopping method is also a huge money saver, as it prevents you from having multiples of the same things (except for "the basics" as you will see next) and from wearing the "full outfit" over and over, thus heightening the durability of the pieces.Take a look at this article written about price efficient ways to build your professional closet. 


2. "The Basics"

Ladies, if you take anything from this post, PLEASE! PLEASE, take this--The basic items are absolutely essential to your wardrobe and will MAKE or BREAK your outfit! Now that I am typing, I realize that "The Basics" should probably have it's own article. The basics stretch from the proper underwear, to a classy "little black dress." 

Definitely look forward to, "The Basics: Panty-Lines and Senseless Forgettables." Coming to you next week, right here at the BROWN.SPOT




3. Ideas

http://www.harperhoney.com/2012_05_01_archive.html
The night before is always a good time to think up at least one idea, or two,  for what you could possibly wear the next morning. Take a glance in your closet while you are watching your favorite show, and lay some of your favorite pieces out on your chair. This way you have a mental idea of the colors and patterns, you would be surprised how well this really works. Sometimes, right before I go to bed, I look in my closet and simply find a piece that catches my eye. Then, I touch it and kind-of internalize it... Then, I simply go to bed. When I wake up in the morning, I am able to walk right over to my closet and put something together, almost simultaneously. Just because you are sleep, doesn't mean your brain forgets! It's still up there working as you get your beauty rest! Oh, this happens to me all the time, an outfit will magically appear after you have already stressed over the one you are in the middle of putting on. Take a few seconds to kind of group it together and throw it back in your closet, there is tomorrow's outfit ready to go! 


4. Clean closet, GOOD closet. 

Keep your closet cleaned out! The less of a mess you have to rummage through, the less of a hassle it will be to get dressed! Now, to what degree will be up to you. Personally, I am not big on color coordinating and organizing by sleeve length...that's too much pressure for my little soul. But, I have learned that at least having a summer/winter separation makes life a lot easier. Put whatever the current season is near the front so that it is accessible, and push the other towards the back...out of the way. Always put cute tanks and light sweaters /cardigans in the middle, as these are items that fall into that "interchangeable" category that I spoke of earlier. They work for all seasons, any outfit. Your closet should be kept in a way that makes your mornings smooth and easy, so that when you have a morning like mine was today, your whole day isn't wrecked over it. 

So what did I end up wearing? 

Navy blue cardigan
Sheer- tan mesh tank, with silver workings
Grey slacks
Silver flats
Blue studded necklace, and other funky jewelry



 

Until next time,
B. 













No comments:

Post a Comment